WestConnect: The Western Beltway Connector Study
The purpose of WestConnect - The "Western Beltway" Connector Study - is to develop a comprehensive and coordinated plan that will be used to inform Jefferson County residents of the benefits of completing segments of the "Western Beltway" to the rest of the facility, gauge support for completing these connections, determine the best way to fund the improvements, and develop a plan for implementing the improvements.
One of the most critical elements contributing to our County's quality of life is how we move people and goods through the region. Improving regional mobility and connecting communities to make transportation more efficient will reduce congestion, improve air quality and foster economic development. How can we make it easier for people to get from home, to work, to shopping, recreational activities and more?
A Beltway around the Denver metropolitan region was conceived 50 years ago. The entire western corridor from I-25 on the north to I-25 on the south is 61.3 miles in length and connects our residents, our businesses, and our communities. Today, almost 80 percent of this highway is complete and open to traffic. The last remaining 20 percent consists of four separate but related segments in Jefferson County: the Interlocken Loop; the Jefferson Parkway; SH-93 between the Jefferson Parkway and the northern limits of Golden; and SH-93 and US-6 in Golden.
Further, the WestConnect study includes the segment of C-470 from I-70 south to the Platte River near Chatfield Reservoir. Motorists using this segment of C-470 often experience excessive delays and improvements to C-470 could be considered as part of an overall "Western Beltway" transportation solution.
More than 15,000 people participated in WestConnect telephone town halls, held August 22, 26 and 27. During the calls, four straw poll questions were asked and answered by participants using their telephone key pads. View question results.
The Illustrative Plan for the "Western Beltway" Connector Study is now available. The Plan includes detailed sections of the corridor with key features highlighted and annotated.
View the plan »